Bleach in NOT the way to go!
If you are in need of mold remediation, call SERVPRO of West Miami today at (786) 789-3963.
A common misconception about mold is that you can use bleach to treat it. The main uses for bleach are for disinfecting and changing the color of something, so stick to those uses next time you grab a bottle of Clorox from the grocery store. The EPA and OSHA has taken a strong stance against using bleach to treat mold, and here is why:
- Bleach does not work on porous surfaces, but mold loves porous areas. Bleach is made up of 90% water, so once the chlorine quickly evaporates, you are left with a ton of moisture that will actually help mold continue to grow. Even though it may look like bleach has killed the mold infecting your home, it is only the top layer that has been killed, and the mold’s roots within the walls will easily come back stronger than ever.
- Bleach is toxic. This one is a no brainer, but for some reason, people want to dump the chemical all over their house at the first sight of mold. Children and pets can easily get into the bleach you may have used to treat mold which could make them quite sick; even the fumes can create health effects! There are so many alternative solutions to treat mold with, there is no reason to put your family or employees at risk by using bleach.
- Bleach can weaken the surfaces you put it on. When bleach is put on a surface such as wood, it can begin to eat away at the fibers. Even a small change to an important structural piece of your home could be disastrous. Imagine having to rebuild parts of your home just because you treated some wooden beams with bleach!
When it comes to mold, it is better to leave the remediation to the professionals. Our team of experts can quickly handle any problem and make sure that your home or office is safe for everyone. We use specially formulated solutions that are sure to kill mold and keep it from returning - without causing toxic fumes.