Bleach in NOT the way to go!
Gallon Jug of Bleach
If you are in need of mold remediation, call SERVPRO of West Miami today at (786) 789-3963.
A common misconception about mold is that you can use bleach to treat it. The main uses for bleach are for disinfecting and changing the color of something, so stick to those uses next time you grab a bottle of Clorox from the grocery store. The EPA and OSHA has taken a strong stance against using bleach to treat mold, and here is why:
- Bleach does not work on porous surfaces, but mold loves porous areas. Bleach is made up of 90% water, so once the chlorine quickly evaporates, you are left with a ton of moisture that will actually help mold continue to grow. Even though it may look like bleach has killed the mold infecting your home, it is only the top layer that has been killed, and the mold’s roots within the walls will easily come back stronger than ever.
- Bleach is toxic. This one is a no brainer, but for some reason, people want to dump the chemical all over their house at the first sight of mold. Children and pets can easily get into the bleach you may have used to treat mold which could make them quite sick; even the fumes can create health effects! There are so many alternative solutions to treat mold with, there is no reason to put your family or employees at risk by using bleach.
- Bleach can weaken the surfaces you put it on. When bleach is put on a surface such as wood, it can begin to eat away at the fibers. Even a small change to an important structural piece of your home could be disastrous. Imagine having to rebuild parts of your home just because you treated some wooden beams with bleach!
When it comes to mold, it is better to leave the remediation to the professionals. Our team of experts can quickly handle any problem and make sure that your home or office is safe for everyone. We use specially formulated solutions that are sure to kill mold and keep it from returning - without causing toxic fumes.
What SERVPRO of Wynwood Does For Mold Remediation in your Coral Gables Home/Business
SERVPRO Technician arriving at a job site
Call SERVPRO of West Miami today for mold remediation! (786) 789-3963.
When mold develops in your house, you need two things – remediation and reassurance that the actions taken are sufficient to nullify the issue. SERVPRO takes a systemic approach to ensure a thorough mold removal process and to reassure Jacksonville homeowners.
How do we ensure mold removal restores our Coral Gables property to preloss state?
The process may involve several steps. Our SERVPRO technicians focus on a couple of areas like:
- Inspection and assessment of mold damage
- Mold Containment
- Removal of mold and mold-Infested materials
- Air Filtration
- Cleaning Contents and other materials
In most cases, when you seek help because of mold in your West Miami home, you have noticed some signs such as patches or spots on surfaces, or there is a whiff of musty odor in your property. However, these signs rarely reveal the whole picture because mold tends to develop in hidden sections of the house. Our technicians can help perform additional tests, including drilling inspection holes on ceilings or walls and lifting covers such as carpets to establish how far the problem spreads around the house.
What sort of containment is done when mold is discovered?
Containment mostly helps prevent mold debris from spreading all over the property. Our SERVPRO technicians set up containment barriers using 6-mil plastic sheets, poles, and grip disks. Limiting further mold growth by applying biocides to vulnerable surfaces can also count as a form of containment.
Running air filtration devices helps remove moldy residues from the air. We also use the devices to create negative air pressure in the contained area, thus ensuring residues do not spread. With proper containment, demolition of affected materials and cleaning can run smoothly without affecting the rest of the house.
When you need mold problems in your Coral Gables home resolved, SERVPRO of West Miami is ready to help. Call us at (786) 789-3963. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
How Does a Pack-Out Work After a Property Disaster?
pack out services from SERVPRO West Miami
Our pack-ins are tailored to original records so that your space looks "Like it never even happened."
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning after storm damage, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can conduct an organized, efficient pack-out of the affected area. Pack-out will provide several benefits such as a quicker remodeling process and protection of your items from potential damage.
By itemizing, recording, and relocating your contents to a secure location, the pack-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process.
- Protecting items from potential damage.
- Provide extensive restoration to contents.
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage.
The pack-out process usually consists of six steps:
- Video and photograph the job site.
- Perform an initial scope & job estimate.
- Electronically inventory items.
- Pack, tag, inventory, and sort clean and claim items.
- Move to a warehouse, clean, deodorize, and repack.
- Claim list suggestions from the customer.
- Pack-in: Move items back to the customer's property after remodel.
When restoration is completed, SERVPRO will work with you to coordinate the move-in/pack-in according to your needs. Our pack-ins are tailored to original records so that your space looks "Like it never even happened."
Keep in mind:
- After the initial inspection, we will let you know whether or not an item can be restored. You will find that most items can be brought to preloss condition. All contents will be inspected and any pre-existing damage will be documented before being packed out and restored. Our electronic documentation helps to estimate the losses and facilitates the filing of your insurance claim.
- When the transportation begins, items will be loaded and secured in a covered box truck using pads and the appropriate packing protocols.
- Small items will be individually wrapped in paper, boxed, labeled, and inventoried. This includes kitchen utensils, dishes, pots, storage containers, etc.
- Large items like upholstery and wooden furniture will be carefully inspected, often using high-intensity light to detect all damages that existed before the disaster.
- In some cases, affected items are cleaned in place to prevent acidic residues from causing any further damage.
- If an item does not require packing out, it will be secured and protected while structural repairs are made to the property.
- The restoration process is constantly monitored and you will be informed of the status of your claim before the items are ready to be sent back to your property.
- You will receive a copy of every inventory sheet with noted preexisting damage.
SERVPRO processes and returns contents as quickly and conveniently as possible while caring for your items as if they were our own. Contact SERVPRO of West Miami after a disaster to make sure you are getting the best care!
SERVPRO Here to Help Logo
Call SERVPRO of West Miami today at (786) 789-3963!
Biohazard is an umbrella term for biological materials that are a threat to living organisms. If you own or manage a River Oaks commercial property, biohazards can pose serious harm. Not just to you, but anyone who frequents your establishment. Biohazards could show up almost anywhere. If you have commercial property it is extremely important to be cautious of this threat. However, some people may not know everything that the word biohazard encompasses and how to clean it up. It covers numerous materials. There are even levels of biohazard, each one presenting different threats.
Examples of Biohazard
There are different kinds of biohazard. It is possible that some of these examples will never present themselves in your building. Of course, that does not mean you are safe from harmful materials. Blood is a huge biohazard risk. This also includes anything that has come into contact with blood, or other bodily fluids. bloodborne pathogens and fluids can lead to disease if they come into contact with someone. Animal bedding and animal waste are also threats. This is especially true if the animal is sick in anyway. Microbiological waste is another example of biohazard. Of course, this kind of threat is more common in labs. A threat that is common in medical settings is sharps waste. This includes needles, glass slides, and scalpels.
While your Coral Gables commercial property may not be exposed to as many biohazards as other places, it is still exposed. It may not be obvious, but biohazards will be a threat no matter what. SERVPRO of West Miami can clean it up safely and efficiently.
Levels of Biohazard
There are numerous levels of biohazard, four to be exact, with different threats. Level one includes E. Coli, Bacillus subtilis, and more. These materials are just a minimal threat to people and the environment. Level two includes HIV, Hepatitis B, and Salmonella. These have the possibility to make people extremely sick. Level two biohazards are contracted through contact with any infected materials or items. Level three includes tuberculosis and other airborne pathogens. They expose people to serious illnesses. Level four biohazards pose the highest threat levels. The diseases they cause have no treatments, and could even be life threatening. This includes the Ebola and Lassa viruses. For threats of this nature it is recommended to contact your nearest EPA office for help.
What Do You Do About Them
If there is biohazard exposure in your River Oaks commercial property you may have no idea what to do. It needs to be cleaned immediately, but most levels require specialty cleaning services. These services are trained to get rid of the problem quickly and efficiently. However, if you have no experience with this, you might not know who to call. SERVPRO of West Miami comply with health regulations and possess all of the equipment needed for safe disposal. We will decontaminate your building in the event of trauma, chemical spills, sewage backups, hoarding, and more. When it comes to biohazard, the substances must be cleaned up properly to prevent serious health risks. SERVPRO of West Miami will make sure this gets done so your building can go back to normal.
Can I Eliminate Mold From My Home?
Mold growth on wall in home
Call SERVPRO of West Miami today at 786-789-3963! Mold development in your River Oaks property is not something to look forward to since people can interpret it as neglect. Mold is also associated with health effects. Perhaps the biggest concern is how stubborn such infestations can be, reappearing a few weeks or months after removal, if not done correctly.
What steps play a crucial role in resolving mold damage?
- Establishing the root cause of the infestation
- Full remediation of affected materials
- Removal of airborne mold debris
For mold to develop in a property, a couple of factors are necessary, including the availability of organic food source and moisture. Since almost any organic material can serve as a nutrient, moisture is the main trigger. Unless there is a water spill incident, our SERVPRO technicians inspect your property to establish and fix possible sources of moisture. Typical sources include:
- High humidity in the air from insufficient cooling of the interior
- Unresolved or hidden water leaks
- Steam from the shower and other places
How should I deal with moldy materials?
The remedial action chosen depends on the type of material and level of infestation. For heavily infested porous materials such as carpets, insulation, drywall, or fabrics, removing the affected material is the appropriate action since the root-like mold hyphae penetrate beyond the surface, making it hard to remove mold entirely by cleaning. Regardless, mold remediation is just that. It is not possible to eliminate ALL mold and spores from a home with a treatment.
For non-porous surfaces, our SERVPRO technicians use various cleaning approaches, including HEPA vacuuming and damp wiping the infested areas. Semi porous materials require elaborate cleaning processes such as brushing, sanding, wire brushing, or specialized cleaning, such as soda blasting.
Killing spores is also crucial for longer-term results. Our crews use antifungal products with antimicrobial properties to achieve this goal. Some of the spores and other mold debris disturbed during cleaning are suspended in the air, meaning they can settle back on cleaned areas. We run air filtration devices (AFD) with HEPA filters to remove the particulate matter.
Mold infestations are manageable. Call SERVPRO of West Miami at (786) 789-3963 to help restore your property to its preloss state.
Call Us When Disaster Strikes Your Coral Gables Home!
SERVPRO Technicians performing cleaning services
With decades of experience across the restoration services that we offer, we know how to help when every minute counts. We have ready trailers and service vehicles prepared to roll out from our SERVPRO facility 24/7 to address the harsh effects of water, fire, storm, and mold losses. We have trained professionals to handle more specific recovery niches like air duct cleaning, biohazard cleaning, abatement, and reconstruction efforts. These talents, aiding in every facet of our customers' work, improve our efficiency and effectiveness in your home or business.
Storm damage in Texas homes is a common situation that our SERVPRO Professionals must address. Florida is susceptible to severe storms from both the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. Properties in this midsection must remain prepared for inevitable run-ins with hurricanes, tropical storms, tornadoes, damaging winds other harmful conditions. Our ability to handle these situations is partly due to our commitment to the training and growth of our specialists, ensuring that each loss incidents gets technicians that can:
• Extract and dry up floodwater (WRT – Water Restoration Technician)
• Clean contaminated areas where they exist (Biohazard Cleaning)
• Deploy air movers and dehumidifiers for effective drying solutions (ASD – Applied Structural Drying)
• Clean Carpets and other flooring types (CCT – Carpet Cleaning Technician)
• Prevent microbial growth or address present colonization (AMRT – Applied Microbial Remediation Technician)
The other aspect that has allowed our disaster relief team to become so successful in the North Texas area is our commitment to having the top-tier equipment that gets the job done quickly and correctly. We keep storm trucks stocked with a deep inventory of recovery and mitigation tools, including submersible pumps, engine-driven trash pumps, power washers, air movers, and dehumidifiers.
We can offer a full-service approach amid a crisis so that our customers do not have to waste time finding secondary contractors to handle other aspects of their recovery. We have the skilled professionals to perform board-up and tarping services for your residence amid flood penetration. We can also oversee full-scale reconstruction once mitigation completes in your Texas property.
We know how easily water loss incidents can develop, and that's why training our restoration technicians in this niche is a constant and continual process. The science of restoring water damage in Bedford homes is evolving and consistently changing. So our professionals have to move along with it – putting these new practices and equipment into use to help our customers with the most efficient and practical approach. Our commitment to customer satisfaction and the outcome of your loss incidents goes far beyond our IICRC training.
Our restoration team has access to equipment and machines that far exceed the limitations of conventional recovery tools. The truck-mounted water extractors that our SERVPRO team uses, for example, can handle the removal of thousands of gallons of water every day. Combined with multiple other impressive equipment pieces, this vehicle sets our professionals apart in water damage restoration for the greater Miami area.
We also have the capability of addressing the massive loss of water damage for commercial properties and houses. 67 years of industry experience and a roster that features Commercial Drying Specialists (CDS) and those with WRT and ASD endorsements, no job is too big or too complicated for our field technicians with the right approach, equipment, and attitude.
Our team is responsible for many structures in this area alone; the possibility of fire damage is a persistent threat. Knowing the best approach to handle these conditions hinges on the severity of the situation and what materials, surfaces, and contents have become affected. Our IICRC-Certified Fire & Smoke Restoration Technicians (FSRT) and those with additional training in odor control and upholstery/carpet cleaning have access to equipment that can help our team restore loss incidents quickly.
Much of our efficiency in fire recovery stems from these advanced and cutting-edge machines. Soot removal and cleaning, for example, often fall to a combination of specially-formulated cleaning agents and products with automated surface scrubbers that can eliminate residues on surfaces.
Every minute counts in fire restoration. Our technicians obtain IICRC certifications and train to understand how fire damage in Coral Gables homes and businesses spreads and the best approach to overcome the damages.
Before our certified AMRTs can set up containment barriers and begin the often-intricate process of mold remediation in your Miami home or business – our professionals must locate the source of the moisture and dampness. These conditions are likely to happen again without adequately identifying how the water damage facilitated mold growth.
Sometimes the humid conditions are enough to generate these hazardous circumstances, as interior humidity above 60% can mold growth on ceilings and other organic materials. The initial approach is to establish isolation zones using our powerful negative air machines in conjunction with physical plastic sheeting. Mold damage in Florida homes can spread quickly and harmfully without these containment barriers.
Suppose our technicians reach the situation in your Miami residence fast enough. In that case, many of the hosting materials can get repaired using sophisticated equipment like dry ice blasting machines and soda-blasting equipment. These approaches can remove mold debris without harming the surface and substrate.
South Florida is a highly active area of the country, and as such, the threats of emergencies and disasters never cease. You can count the swift response of SERVPRO of West Miami team in a crisis. Give our professionals a call anytime that you need us at (786) 789-3963.
Questions To A Commercial Cleaning Service Company
SERVPRO technicians performing COVID-19 Commercial Cleaning in an office
Call SERVPRO of West Miami today for your commercial cleaning needs!
The Best Questions to Ask a Commercial Cleaning Service Company
Although hiring a commercial cleaning service can be a daunting task, if done right, you’ll end up with a cleaning company that will meet and exceed your expectations. Many people wonder how they should screen potential commercial cleaning companies, especially when looking for specialized services such as mold removal, commercial water damage cleanup, water removal, and air duct cleaning.
What to Ask a Commercial Cleaning Service
Whether you need industrial cleaning, school cleaning, or office cleaning, the following questions will go a long way toward determining whether the cleaning company can provide your business with the services you need.
1. Are you CIMS certified?
Cleaning Industry Management Standard (CIMS) certification ensures that the company under consideration has a proven record of adhering to industry best practices that deliver effective, consistent, and responsive cleaning. A company with this certification is committed to the industry and meets the highest standards—it’s almost a guarantee of excellence.
2. What training do you offer your employees?
The cleaning service's employees must be able to deliver the excellent service your business needs. For this to happen, employees need training explicitly geared toward the kind and level of commercial cleaning services your business requires.
3. How long have you been in business?
Besides having employees with the right level of expertise, the cleaning company must also have adequate experience. One way to predict the kind of service the company will offer is to look at its services in the past. Typically, experienced companies tend to be much better at what they do.
4. What accounts do you service with a business that closely resembles mine?
You ideally want a commercial cleaning company with experience working with other, similar business properties because this will help them get a better idea of the kind of customized commercial cleaning services needed.
5. What quality control checks do you use to ensure reliability?
The best commercial cleaning services use janitorial inspections to ensure quality control and employ reporting software and apps to communicate their results quickly and efficiently. This practice ensures that you regularly receive reports and updates to help resolve any possible issues that may arise.
6. Will the same employee or employees continually service my facility? What is your employee turnover percentage?
The best commercial cleaning companies hire and retain good employees. Having a consistent set of long-term cleaners is ideal since the team becomes aware of your establishment's requirements and understands your facility.
Turnover percentage can also help you determine the level of continuity. While turnover percentages tend to be higher in low-paying service jobs, certain companies have adapted systems and practices that retain their key staff and lower their turnover percentages. Consider asking your potential cleaning service company what strategies it has adapted to ensure it retains its best employees.
7. How do you screen your employees?
Reliable companies work with reliable employees and have recruitment processes that ensure they only hire the right people. Some companies include personality tests in their recruitment process. Others verify references, police records, and previous employment. A cleaning service with a reliable screening process will protect your business, employees, and facility.
Any More Questions?
The number of questions to ask when looking for a commercial cleaning service is almost limitless. However, the above questions should help you get headed in the right direction and streamline the decision-making process. When it comes to commercial cleaning in Coral Gables, FL, SERVPRO is an industry leader.
SERVPRO is an all-in-one commercial cleaning and restoration company that has served greater Miami since 1967. They are a licensed, insured, and certified option with rigorous hiring standards and a positive feedback profile in Texas.
For more information about commercial cleaning, contact SERVPRO of West Miami.
Winter Fire Hazards In Your Place Of Business
Power Strip Fire Hazard
Call SERVPRO of West Miami at 786-789-3963!
With the changing of the seasons comes cooler weather, and for most of us, it is a welcome change. Who doesn’t love snuggling up before a warm fire at this time of year? We’ve pulled out the sweaters and fluffy blankets to stay toasty, and most of us will employ a space heater or two before spring comes around again.
In your place of business, you will be taking those extra steps to make sure your staff is comfortable during the colder months, as well. Let’s make sure they stay fire safe! Here are some winter fire hazards to be aware of:
- Most businesses won’t be using a fireplace to warm their interiors, but those who work out of doors may build fires on the job site to keep hands and toes functional. Make sure your crew is careful to use metal receptacles for those bonfires and that they place them far away from flammable materials such as wood and linens. If a wind comes up, things could get dangerous fast.
- In your offices, the use of space heaters will be helpful. Inspect every unit used to make sure that cords and plugs are in good working condition, and enforce a policy that ensures they are never left running when the room is unoccupied or when the workday is over. Designate someone to oversee this; they should be the person who is normally last out the door. As the owner, it may very well be you.
- Employ a landscape company to remove leaves and dead vegetation from your property. In the event of a fire in your building, space that is cleared from the foundation and exterior walls will help firefighters to gain access as well as prevent a fire from spreading further.
- When repairing or renovating your offices or outbuildings, use fire-resistant materials whenever possible. Flooring, furniture, and paint can all be produced or treated after purchase to make them more fire safe.
The team here at SERVPRO of West Miami is always available to help you keep your business fire safe. In the event of damages sustained from fire or water, we have the experience and know how to complete a cleanup project quickly and efficiently, getting you back to work as soon as possible.
How To Prevent Mold After Water Damage
Air Blowers drying water damaged space
Water damage restoration services in Coral Gables, FL
After experiencing water damage at your business in Coral Gables, FL, you should do everything you can to prevent mold growth. These tips will help you clean up standing water and prevent molding.
To prevent molding, you should perform the following steps as soon as possible:
- Remove standing water
- Dry the area
- Disinfect surfaces
Without quick mitigation, mold will grow within 24-48 hours of a flood, so you have to act quickly.
You must first remove water from the building. How this is done depends on the amount of water present. If there is only a small amount, you may be able to clean it up with towels, a mop, or a wet-dry vac. If there is an excessive amount of water, you will likely need pumps or industrial vacuums. You should also make sure the liquids are not in contact with any electrical wiring or contaminated with any harmful bacteria. If there are excessive amounts of water, an electrocution risk is present or that water is contaminated, you should call a water damage restoration service to assist you.
Drying the Area
Opening doors and windows will help dry the area more quickly. Once the bulk of the water and any wet items have been removed, you can set up fans to aid in the drying process. Fully drying the area will prevent mold growth and further damage.
After surfaces are dry, they must be disinfected to kill bacteria and prevent the growth of mold. Any surface that the water touched should be thoroughly disinfected, including flooring, furniture and belongings.
Flooding can cause mold growth in addition to other types of water damage. To mitigate the development of mold, you should remove standing water, dry the area completely and thoroughly disinfect surfaces. If there are excessive amounts of water or risks of electrocution or contamination, you should contact a professional to help clean up and repair the damage.
How Restoration Professionals Repair Water Damage
SERVPRO Professional air blowers drying water damaged business
Water damaged homes are no DIY project. Call the professionals at SERVPRO for the water restoration services needed.
SERVPRO offers West Miami residents proven methods for rapid water damage restoration
When you have water damage within your West Miami home, SERVPRO has multiple strategies for removing standing water and efficiently ensuring your interior dries. We make it “Like it never even happened,” so that your home gets Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned when all is said and done.
We utilize several methods and tools to help with water damage restoration in Coral Gables. We may use one or more of these actions to get the results you deserve:
- Powerful Pumps – Our Green Fleet comes stocked with equipment like high-pressure extractors and electric submersible pumps to pull up as much water as possible in a short period.
- Industrial-Grade Vacuums – Having portable vacuums handy to move around your property to pull up water is crucial for results. Quite often, we use our wet vacs in conjunction with attachments to get into all areas.
- Specialized Attachments – We use wands and other attachments that make our submersible pumps and vacuums even more useful. They allow us to get into smaller spaces so that no moisture gets left behind.
Water damage restoration is best when left to skilled water restoration technicians (WRT). Call on our team at SERVPRO of West Miami when you need someone at your door and ready to get to work at a moment’s notice. We can be reached for 24/7 emergency service by calling (786) 789-3963.