Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Bleach in NOT the way to go!
Gallon Jug of Bleach
If you are in need of mold remediation, call SERVPRO of West Miami today at (786) 789-3963.
A common misconception about mold is that you can use bleach to treat it. The main uses for bleach are for disinfecting and changing the color of something, so stick to those uses next time you grab a bottle of Clorox from the grocery store. The EPA and OSHA has taken a strong stance against using bleach to treat mold, and here is why:
- Bleach does not work on porous surfaces, but mold loves porous areas. Bleach is made up of 90% water, so once the chlorine quickly evaporates, you are left with a ton of moisture that will actually help mold continue to grow. Even though it may look like bleach has killed the mold infecting your home, it is only the top layer that has been killed, and the mold’s roots within the walls will easily come back stronger than ever.
- Bleach is toxic. This one is a no brainer, but for some reason, people want to dump the chemical all over their house at the first sight of mold. Children and pets can easily get into the bleach you may have used to treat mold which could make them quite sick; even the fumes can create health effects! There are so many alternative solutions to treat mold with, there is no reason to put your family or employees at risk by using bleach.
- Bleach can weaken the surfaces you put it on. When bleach is put on a surface such as wood, it can begin to eat away at the fibers. Even a small change to an important structural piece of your home could be disastrous. Imagine having to rebuild parts of your home just because you treated some wooden beams with bleach!
When it comes to mold, it is better to leave the remediation to the professionals. Our team of experts can quickly handle any problem and make sure that your home or office is safe for everyone. We use specially formulated solutions that are sure to kill mold and keep it from returning - without causing toxic fumes.
What SERVPRO of Wynwood Does For Mold Remediation in your Coral Gables Home/Business
SERVPRO Technician arriving at a job site
Call SERVPRO of West Miami today for mold remediation! (786) 789-3963.
When mold develops in your house, you need two things – remediation and reassurance that the actions taken are sufficient to nullify the issue. SERVPRO takes a systemic approach to ensure a thorough mold removal process and to reassure Jacksonville homeowners.
How do we ensure mold removal restores our Coral Gables property to preloss state?
The process may involve several steps. Our SERVPRO technicians focus on a couple of areas like:
- Inspection and assessment of mold damage
- Mold Containment
- Removal of mold and mold-Infested materials
- Air Filtration
- Cleaning Contents and other materials
In most cases, when you seek help because of mold in your West Miami home, you have noticed some signs such as patches or spots on surfaces, or there is a whiff of musty odor in your property. However, these signs rarely reveal the whole picture because mold tends to develop in hidden sections of the house. Our technicians can help perform additional tests, including drilling inspection holes on ceilings or walls and lifting covers such as carpets to establish how far the problem spreads around the house.
What sort of containment is done when mold is discovered?
Containment mostly helps prevent mold debris from spreading all over the property. Our SERVPRO technicians set up containment barriers using 6-mil plastic sheets, poles, and grip disks. Limiting further mold growth by applying biocides to vulnerable surfaces can also count as a form of containment.
Running air filtration devices helps remove moldy residues from the air. We also use the devices to create negative air pressure in the contained area, thus ensuring residues do not spread. With proper containment, demolition of affected materials and cleaning can run smoothly without affecting the rest of the house.
When you need mold problems in your Coral Gables home resolved, SERVPRO of West Miami is ready to help. Call us at (786) 789-3963. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Can I Eliminate Mold From My Home?
Mold growth on wall in home
Call SERVPRO of West Miami today at 786-789-3963! Mold development in your River Oaks property is not something to look forward to since people can interpret it as neglect. Mold is also associated with health effects. Perhaps the biggest concern is how stubborn such infestations can be, reappearing a few weeks or months after removal, if not done correctly.
What steps play a crucial role in resolving mold damage?
- Establishing the root cause of the infestation
- Full remediation of affected materials
- Removal of airborne mold debris
For mold to develop in a property, a couple of factors are necessary, including the availability of organic food source and moisture. Since almost any organic material can serve as a nutrient, moisture is the main trigger. Unless there is a water spill incident, our SERVPRO technicians inspect your property to establish and fix possible sources of moisture. Typical sources include:
- High humidity in the air from insufficient cooling of the interior
- Unresolved or hidden water leaks
- Steam from the shower and other places
How should I deal with moldy materials?
The remedial action chosen depends on the type of material and level of infestation. For heavily infested porous materials such as carpets, insulation, drywall, or fabrics, removing the affected material is the appropriate action since the root-like mold hyphae penetrate beyond the surface, making it hard to remove mold entirely by cleaning. Regardless, mold remediation is just that. It is not possible to eliminate ALL mold and spores from a home with a treatment.
For non-porous surfaces, our SERVPRO technicians use various cleaning approaches, including HEPA vacuuming and damp wiping the infested areas. Semi porous materials require elaborate cleaning processes such as brushing, sanding, wire brushing, or specialized cleaning, such as soda blasting.
Killing spores is also crucial for longer-term results. Our crews use antifungal products with antimicrobial properties to achieve this goal. Some of the spores and other mold debris disturbed during cleaning are suspended in the air, meaning they can settle back on cleaned areas. We run air filtration devices (AFD) with HEPA filters to remove the particulate matter.
Mold infestations are manageable. Call SERVPRO of West Miami at (786) 789-3963 to help restore your property to its preloss state.
Black Mold after Water Damage?
Baseboard black mold damage after water leak incident
You may have seen home repair reports that warn about the dangers of “black mold” or “toxic mold”. These reports can be alarming and confusing so it’s beneficial to get the facts to better understand mold.
Stachybotrys chartarum is the type of mold often called black mold, and it does produce allergens and irritants. However, many other types of mold can also produce allergens and irritants. Treat any mold with caution – stay out of affected areas and don’t touch or disturb the mold.
If you spot any signs of mold, don't be afraid to call the professionals at SERVPRO for a free estimate. Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (786) 789-3963